Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EliteGoldSeller

Tutorial: How to run RsBot on Ubuntu

37 posts in this topic

For anyone interested in running RsBot on Ubuntu here is how:

1) Download RSBot & Place on your desktop
2) Go to Ubuntu Software center and Search for run.jar, and install jarwrapper (I beleive jarwrapper is the first program on the list)
3) Installing Java: Go to Ubuntu Software Center and search for Java, and install OpenJdk Java 6 Runtime (DON'T install java from Oracle's website as it is buggy. Instead install it from Ubuntu Software Center. Also since RsBot runs on Java6 you should instead Java6.)
4) Go to your desktop and right click on RsBot.jar > Properties > Permissions > Tick: Allow executing file as program
5) You are now ready to start botting!
6) To start botting simply right click on RsBot on your desktop > Open Wite > OpenJdk Java 6 Runtime
7) Happy botting!

[quote name='HobunP' timestamp='1341782036' post='8795192']
Wrong section.
[/quote]

Oh sorry, I thought that since I am helping out the people who have problems with Ubuntu this would "support" them

[quote name='Ridiculousness' timestamp='1341782974' post='8795329']
Thanks for the tutorial! I needed this yesterday! Haha
[/quote]

Haha your welcome! Just trying to give back to the community:) post here if you still need help and I'll see what I can do.

Hoping a moderator passes by this though and moves it to the tutorial section so more people see it

[quote name='EliteGoldSeller' timestamp='1341783117' post='8795353']
Haha your welcome! Just trying to give back to the community:) post here if you still need help and I'll see what I can do.

Hoping a moderator passes by this though and moves it to the tutorial section so more people see it
[/quote]I installed oracle's as i read that OpenJDK's was buggy. That was the only thing different that i did.

[quote name='Ridiculousness' timestamp='1341783171' post='8795359']
I installed oracle's as i read that OpenJDK's was buggy. That was the only thing different that i did.
[/quote]

I tired that at first too, except it wouldn't let me open RsBot for some reason with it. Which is why I suggested OpenJdk. But if Oracle's works for you then it's all good:)

Yeah, it wouldn't let me open the bot with OpenJDK. Weird lol!

Does Ubuntu have anything that is like a .bat file?[quote name='EliteGoldSeller' timestamp='1341783687' post='8795426']
I tired that at first too, except it wouldn't let me open RsBot for some reason with it. Which is why I suggested OpenJdk. But if Oracle's works for you then it's all good:)
[/quote]

[quote name='EliteGoldSeller' timestamp='1341782885' post='8795310']
Oh sorry, I thought that since I am helping out the people who have problems with Ubuntu this would "support" them
[/quote]
:p Just saying.. Seems like my post didn't include 'nice tutorial though .' :)

[quote name='HobunP' timestamp='1341783803' post='8795444']

:p Just saying.. Seems like my post didn't include 'nice tutorial though .' :)
[/quote]

Haha thanks:)

[quote name='Ridiculousness' timestamp='1341783760' post='8795436']
Yeah, it wouldn't let me open the bot with OpenJDK. Weird lol!

Does Ubuntu have anything that is like a .bat file?
[/quote]

Yeah you could open Gedit (the notepad of Linux) and just save it as .sh (the .bat of Linux)

[quote name='EliteGoldSeller' timestamp='1341785919' post='8795772']
Haha thanks:)

Yeah you could open Gedit (the notepad of Linux) and just save it as .sh (the .bat of Linux)
[/quote]Ah, okay! Thanks.

[quote name='Ridiculousness' timestamp='1341782974' post='8795329']
Thanks for the tutorial! I needed this yesterday! Haha
[/quote]
Should have asked me.
I had the largest RSBot tutorial for Ubuntu on powerbot. I had over 400 replies.

[quote name='Coma' timestamp='1341786666' post='8795864']
Should have asked me.
I had the largest RSBot tutorial for Ubuntu on powerbot. I had over 400 replies.
[/quote]Wow! do you currently use Ubuntu?

[quote name='Ridiculousness' timestamp='1341788621' post='8796136']
Wow! do you currently use Ubuntu?
[/quote]
When I travel, bring my laptop to class, or go to a robotics competition I do. But Windows 7 is my main OS.

[quote name='Coma' timestamp='1341789127' post='8796193']
When I travel, bring my laptop to class, or go to a robotics competition I do. But Windows 7 is my main OS.
[/quote]Awesome, I've had it duel booted for awhile but never used until now.

Have you ever been to a robotics competition in Ohio or around Ohio? I want to go to one bad, they seem VERY fun.

[quote name='Ridiculousness' timestamp='1341789423' post='8796225']
Have you ever been to a robotics competition in Ohio or around Ohio? I want to go to one bad, they seem VERY fun.
[/quote]
No. I've done the Botball nationals in Hawaii, though.
Robotics is really where I got my programming head start. Botball is completely autonomous; no human interaction.

[quote name='Coma' timestamp='1341789573' post='8796248']
No. I've done the Botball nationals in Hawaii, though.
Robotics is really where I got my programming head start. Botball is completely autonomous; no human interaction.
[/quote]Sounds fun. No one around me can program or is technologically advanced at all. Where are you from?

[quote name='Coma' timestamp='1341786666' post='8795864']

Should have asked me.
[/quote]

I'm just happy my topic made it to the tutorial section:) ... Who moved it here though

[quote name='Ridiculousness' timestamp='1341803826' post='8798036']
How do i compile scripts?
[/quote]
I have this questions as well.. Ive only been able to login to the cloud.